|To most, the idea of doing an aerial yoga class sounds a little scary, but in all honesty, it’s for anyone that enjoys a fun workout, a good stretch, and a calming meditation. If you partake in a yoga practice already, then you can do aerial yoga. It doesn’t require you to be an acrobat and on the contrary, it can be easier than a traditional yoga class.|
Here is how it works— You sit on a soft, fabric hammock that looks kind of like a long scarf. The hammock is kept close to the ground, generally no higher than one’s own hipbones. At any point, your hands or feet will be able to touch the floor. It becomes a swing that supports and takes gravity out of the equation.
These hammocks are made out of special, high-density nylon material that can support over 2,000 pounds. Throughout the class, you do adaptations of traditional yoga poses using the hammock for support. For many people, yoga postures that are difficult on the ground can be performed easier and with less strain on the body in mid-air. So, that handstand you have been trying to nail on your mat, not a problem in the hammock.
Aerial yoga has many benefits like strengthening and stretching the whole body, decompressing the spine, improving circulation, boosting digestion and lifting one's mood. Here are 5 good reasons to try aerial yoga today...
1. Total body workout: Due to the nature of aerial yoga movements, almost all the body parts are forced to move and stretch. Muscles are toned and redefined, and joints are decompressed and strengthened due to these movements.
2. Improves flexibility: Aerial yoga helps you to move more freely, with less effort, by counteracting gravity. Suspension in the air releases tension on the bones and muscles, increasing flexibility and deepening your practice.
3. Psychologically beneficial: Just like other mindful movement modalities, aerial yoga helps clear the mind, and releases stress due to its meditative qualities. Most aerial yoga classes end with you lying in the hammock for a peaceful rest.
4. Mood changer: Another key benefit of doing aerial yoga is that it gets your adrenaline going while defying gravity. Releasing “happy” hormones like serotonin, endorphins, oxytocin, dopamine, all boosting your mood and helping you feel more energetic. After class, you will feel like a kid again.
5. Improves balance: Going against gravity is exciting for the body, consequently strengthening muscles that aid in balance and stability. With the addition of the mood benefits, an aerial practice will create a whole body balance inside and out.
Try an aerial yoga class today at Align Pilates And Yoga!